Online: June 24-July 28, 2013
Face to Face: July 29-August 2, 2013
Practicum Requirement: August 5-16, 2013
Click here to apply!
The STARTALK K-12 Chinese Language Teachers Summer Institute offers a standards-based instructional program for new and experienced teachers of Chinese language at the K-12 level, with three UW-Madison credits for completed work through C&I 675 in the World Language Education Program. The program features quality Chinese language instruction, with an emphasis on elementary immersion teaching, through daily lessons, emphasizing differentiated teaching.
The first week focuses on immersion techniques, comprehension assessment in the classroom, lesson planning and integration of educational technology in language instruction. The final two weeks provide hands-on practicum experience as teachers participate in the Verona Area International School's full-day STARTALK Chinese Folk Tales Come Alive Camp for children in 1st-4th grade. Participants will observe experienced teachers as well as design and facilitate learning opportunities for the campers throughout the two-week practicum.
Through participation in the Chinese Language Teachers Summer Institute participants will:
- Experience teaching in a hands-on immersion setting with students
- Comprehend and apply the concepts of a student-centered classroom, using target language, culture and content, and authentic materials
During the final weeks of the experience participants will engage in a hands-on practicum experience through the Verona Area International School's full day STARTALK Chinese Folktales Come Alive Camp for children in 1st-4th grades.
- Earn three (3) credits from UW-Madison
- Use the ACTFL standards to develop curriculum, lesson plans, and proficeincy assessments
- Receive Intensive training and practicum experience
- Gain information on local and national organizations that promote the teaching of Chinese language
- Travel reimbursements may be available for out of state applicants