Monday-Friday, July 14-18, 2014
8:30am-3:30pm (lunch included)
for students completing grades 5-8
located on the UW-Madison campus
$375, scholarships available for qualifying students
Contact: Patricia Brooks
Movin' Minds promotes healthy bodies and healthy minds. Students attend a challenging academic course of their choice while learning about healthy exercise and nutrition choices. The courses are engaging, challenging, and active. Students have the opportunity to discover new areas of interest and career options while learning the best ways tot stay healthy!
Courses are limited to 13 students. The students stay with their own group for the entire week with lots of personal attention from the instructors, facilitators, and staff!
All of the courses are exciting, challenging, and vibrant. Participants have the opportunity to discover new areas of interest and career options while learning the best way to keep yourself healthy and happy! Courses are first-come, first-served, so register quickly!
Sample courses from previous year:
- Action Video: Ideas in Motion Explore the exciting world of video production! Learn to storyboard ideas, video tape, and edit using iMovie©. Develop a unique storyline and travel the UW-Madison campus to bring our ideas to life and create a high quality video on DVD. Blake Housenga
- Broadcast Media at WSUM Radio Participate in broadcast media preparation and performance, including on-air appearances, technical aspects of live musical and spoken word transmission. Visit television, radio, and production studios. Dave Black
- Comedysportz Interactive Theater Enjoy fast moving, action-packed team work. Learn the basics of improvisational theater through interactive games and sports. Gain confidence, learn listening skills, problem solve, and develop camaraderie with others. Joe Thompson
- Computer Game Design Analyze computer games and create your own by applying GRASPS: Goals, rules, assets, spaces, play mechanics, and scoring. Learn game design concepts using Microsoft Kodu©. Apply math, reasoning and computer skills. Wade Berger
- Mix It Up! Kinesiology Fun! Explore a variety of aerobic and fitness activities and discover the importance of taking care of yourself, especially in the areas of nutrition, sleep and stress. Apply new knowledge while designing a daily lifestyle routine. Darcy Kelly
- Green Team Investigations Investigate how daily decisions connect to the environment, debate scientific and social dilemmas, and use your creativity to communicate your ideas! How is the earth changing and who is going to be affected the most? How does the stuff you buy, eat, and throw away affect plants, animals and people around the world? Katie Kirchgasler
- Instant Rock Star Status Write, arrange, and perform original songs with lyrics. Pianos, guitars, and percussion instruments are provided, and bring your own instrument to create that signature sound! Perform your original music (parodies, blues, rap and other styles) live around campus! Nick Ehlinger
- Media Smart Consumers Analysis video games, advertisements, news, and movies to understand how they convey messages about how and what to think. Make your own video production to demonstrate how media can maniipulate us--how they affect the way we see the world and the decisions we make! Chris Kirchgasler
- Sustainable Design & Construction Learn how to apply sustainable principles in the design and construction of a new or remodeled building. Explore concepts like LEED®, EnergyStar, and Green Communities as we design buildings. Jim Gersich
Movin' Minds Forms
Generally, there are many construction projects around campus. The most up to date information is available on the Transportation Services website.
We encourage you to check out the "Street Closures and Detours Map" link on that page.
- Those who cancel at least three weeks before the start of the first course of each session will receive a tuition refund minus a $50 processing fee.
- Those who cancel less than three weeks before the start of the first course of each session will receive a 50% refund.
- If a course is canceled due to insufficient enrollment, parents will be notified as soon as possible to place the student in another course of his/her own selection, or a full refund will be sent.
Thank you for your understanding.
For more information contact